Thursday, January 10, 2013


Concept art analysis



The name of the artists that created this is John Liberto. Here is his website: http://www.johnliberto.com/.
I think that he was commissioned by Microsoft. Or part of the 343 team that Microsoft created. 

The title of this piece as named on the website I found it on is called Chief Vs Forerunner Combat.
It doesn't really say the date that this image was created. But here is a copyright disclaimer from his site with a date on it. "COPYRIGHT   2010 JOHN LIBERTO. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. | SITE DESIGN BY ERIK TOLLSTED."

I think the Genre of this art is New media > Digital art. I think it is suppose to be somewhat realistic. But with the brush strokes is seems it's trying to be somewhat minimalistic. 

I think this is firstly aimed for Teens and young adults because of the game front. But I also thing this is aimed for artists who both know art and the game to appreciate. From experience I make this assumption, I don't consider myself as an artist due to lack of confidence in my work. But other than game releases the other thing I appreciate more than anything is seeing people interpretations of games.  As I myself do Fan/concept art inspired by Minecraft.


The focal point of this image is the battle itself. The back ground is just a flavour of the colour for the image itself. Obviously it's there also for DoF(Depth of Field).




CONCEPT ARTIST RESEARCH

Donald Rodney.

"In the house of my father."

This is sculpted by Donald Rodney.

I like this piece I find it to be rather touching in it's symbolism. This sculpture was made by Donald Rodney, out of his own skin. In my eyes I see the fragility of life. I really like this piece. I chose this as a last resort though as I was not able to visit the museum in Plymouth through illness.  I think this piece stood out to me because it is simplistic and has so much meaning. I consider his name to dominate the photographers in this piece as it is his sculpture, his ideas and concepts. 


Donald Rodney was born May 18th, 1961 and died March 4th, 1998. His life was shortened with Sickle-Cell Anaemia. 

This is a quote I found on wikipedia.
"Donald Gladstone Rodney (May 18, 1961 – March 4, 1998) was a British artist. He was a leading figure in Britain's BLK Art Group of the 1980s and became recognised as "one of the most innovative and versatile artists of his generation."[1] Rodney's work appropriated images from the mass media, art and popular culture to explore issues of racial identity and racism." 


So I guess the fight for racial issues in his work was a movement in itself. 




 The book that I chose for my research is called,Stop Motion, Craft Skills for Model animation. I chose this book because the aim of the lesson was to find a book of your interest, I admit that I went back to choose this book in particular because I had read it before and felt that if I wanted to read it again so badly, it must have been the focus of interest.

Animation in fact is a huge interest of mine and is hopefully that course that I will get to do next year and in particular to that interest is Stop motion animation. I really like stop motion animations and applaud them with great appreciation. 

The one reason that this book caught my eye because it was very explanatory on in particular skills for Stop motion animation that I like, which is the crafting.

I like very much to make things out of polymer clay and give them to people as gifts. When reading through the book I also found out that Polymer clay is one of the materials that can be used. I found this information in particular very interesting because it allowed me to find out that I had sufficient materials to practice stop motion with. This was good for me because this book is very useful to my interest.





Theophile Steinlen, Advertisement for the re-opening of Caberet du chat noir, 1896

No comments:

Post a Comment